Table of Contents
The process through which you can identify friendly actions that could be harmful to your data and useful for potential is referred to as operational security in cybersecurity. This security is a vital component in developing protection mechanisms to save critical information or data. Five major steps to improve operational security
- What information needs to be protected: The first step to understand is what data could harm your organization.
- Who is your enemy: The next step to determine who is likely to target your organization?
- What are your vulnerabilities: This step allows you to understand what security measures need to be taken.
- Find out the threat level: Once you can assess the amount of risk that leaks the possibility of a successful exploit.
- Mitigate or eliminate these threats: This allows you to develop a security program with specific countermeasures.
These security measures are used for IT security should be taken into consideration for the protection of operational data.
Process of Operational Cybersecurity
- Policies and policy exception
- Project and change security reviews
- Risk management
- Control management
These fundamental security measures could be very much helpful in finding the best IT security. There are also other security measures which are considered for operational security in cybersecurity. There are also five major steps of operational security which are the following
- Identify critical information
- Identify threats
- Assess vulnerabilities
- Analyze the risk
- Develop and apply countermeasures
These particular steps perform safe and secure operations in cybersecurity and also detects vulnerabilities of the threats.
Operational Security is Vital
Operational security is a vital component for developing protection mechanisms to safeguard sensitive information for the development of effective operational security. The organization’s OPSEC must understand the threats that is confronted by his activity. In this operation, both technical and physical elements are used to identify the threats. It is also used as the chief information security officer for overarching security policies. To maintain effective cybersecurity posture, the chief operating security officer should maintain several operational processes that include a few steps.
- Configuration management database
- Supporting information system
- Policy exception management
These certain steps are important for operational security in cybersecurity to follow up.
Role of OPSEC
OPSEC is generally concerned with protecting the non-sensitive data being aggregated together. It often uses countermeasures for reducing exploitations because it is an analytic and strategy process of detecting threats that can be exploited by an attacker. It is used to collect critical information that could damage your data.
Where did OPSEC Come From?
This was coined by the US during the Vietnam war as a result of military operations. While today this concept has been spread my military in other parts of the US government and department of defence.